March 1, 2011

Mo' Masman

Oh loyal readers, I am sorry for my lack of posting/prolific shots of Beau over the past week.  Being back on just weekends to get stuff accomplished has really thrown me for a loop!  I did manage to make some gumbo yesterday since Stud and I finished off the first batch, so I not all has been lost, I am still semi productive.

BUT I HAVE SOME AMAZING NEWS (in case you didn't guess from the title of this post).  My mom called me the other day and guess what she found?!?!?!?


MASMAN CURRY PASTE!!!  And yes, that is a 2lb. tub.  To make things even better, the tub comes with a recipe on the back!  So the other night, Stud and I set out to make some Massman curry and it's amazing.  It's the real deal.



Masman Curry
2 chicken breasts
1 yukon gold potato
1/2 yellow onion
2 T. vegetable oil
3 oz. masman curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1 c. water
3 t. sugar
1 t. tamarind paste
1/2 t. cayenne
Pinch red pepper flakes
Salt

In a medium saucepan, cook the chicken in the vegetable oil about halfway.  Remove the chicken and add the diced yellow onion.  Once the onion is translucent, add in the masman curry paste, coconut milk, water, potaotes and add back in the chicken.  Bring to a boil and add in the cayenne, salt, and red pepper flakes.  Cover and let it cook for fifteen minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.  Then add in the sugar and tamarind paste and serve over white rice.

This recipe also took about thirty minutes from start to finish, which is probably less time than we would have spent if we had ordered it to-go.  Amazing.  It's spicy and creamy and tasty and even Stud-ethnic-food-snobby-pants said there was nothing he would change.  Except maybe a little more spice.  High praise.  But beware!  The potatoes adsorb all the delicious flavor and then become little fire (temperature hot) balls in the curry.  They take forever to cool!  I would chop them pretty small, the roof of Stud's mouth is scarred from a potato bomb, but he still says it was worth it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails