March 2, 2011

I Scream (hahaha)

When Stud and I were registering for wedding presents, the one thing I really wanted was an ice cream maker so I could make awesome weird flavors for myself, like lavender, which is awesome.  This is another make-your-own recipes from Fine Cooking, so you can really add whatever you want to your ice cream.  When Stud and I started dating, he "hated" ice cream.  So when he mentioned that he wanted to make a batch, I let him take the reigns and I just hovered per usual.  He wanted to make a spicy rich chocolate ice cream (also weird because he "hates" chocolate), so off we went to make some Mexican Chocolate ice cream.

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
3/4 c. sugar
5 egg yolks
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. brandy
Salt
Espresso powder

In a medium saucepan, mix 1 c. of the cream with the milk and a pinch of salt and warm the mixture over meduim high heat.  Stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves and tiny bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan.  Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice cubes and water and setting a smaller bowl inside with the remaining 1c. of cream.  Once the milk mixture is forming small bubbles, pour about half over the egg yolks in a steady stream, mixing constantly to prevent curdles.  This is where I became Stud's sous chef.  I was a great whisker.  Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly and add the chocolate, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, and a pinch of espresso powder.  Once the custard reaches 175 degrees, strain the now chocolate custard into the bowl in the ice bath with the cream.  Cool the custard in the ice bath until it reaches about 70 degrees, and then stick it in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  Before you add it into the ice cream maker, add in the vanilla and brandy and let the machine do the rest of the work!

This ice cream is so rich and creamy (hello cream and egg yolks....yum), and the chocolate flavor is amazing.  I could have this just with the chocolate and espresso powder and be content, but Stud likes spicy foods!  And I enjoyed the spicy/cinnamon flavor more than I thought I would.  It is the perfect little treat at the end of a long day, and I can't wait for summer when we have an excuse to make ice cream all the time!


1 comment:

Beth said...

He no longer hates chocolate. I mean he ate the most perfect chocolate cake and even cleared my plate. You can't hate chocolate and do that...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails