February 18, 2011

Breakfast Dinner

I love breakfast, it's by far my favorite meal of the day.  Every once in a while, Stud and I get a hankering for breakfast for dinner, mainly so we can have some chorizo.  Whenever I am at a restaurant for brunch, I have to get something off the breakfast menu, I completely ignore all those lame sandwiches.  I tend to also stick to Mexican themed breakfasts, so the breakfast burrito has become a favorite of mine.  It incorporates like all of my favorite foods: eggs, cheese, sour cream, fried potatoes, and avocados.  And these are definitely a breakfast item as well, but due to their size, I have them more for dinner. 


Breakfast Burritos (for two)
1/2 chorizo sausage link
5 eggs
Milk

1/2 c. cheese
2 c. fried potatoes (tater tots and the little square hash browns are my favorite)
Salsa
Sour Cream
Avocado
2 8" flour tortillas

Cook the potatoes according to the package instructions, I use the Ore-Ida ones I have in my freezer, but leftover roasted potatoes would be great as well.  In a large nonstick skillet, break apart the chorizo and cook until done.  Our is pretty spicy so we get it into very small pieces.  Layer the tortillas between damp paper towels - they will need to be microwaved for 30 seconds, but I like to wait until right before the eggs are finished.  Whisk the eggs with about 3 T. of milk until well combined and add to the skillet with the chorizo.  Cook the eggs until they reach your desired consistency and add in the cheese and let it melt.  You can also add hot sauce here if you want.  Once the eggs are finished, remove the tortillas from the microwave and layer the eggs with the potatoes, salsa, and a little extra cheese.  I like to keep the avocado, sour cream, and additional salsa outside the burrito, it makes them easier to wrap up.  To warp mine, I fold the sides in and then start at one end and roll it tightly ending so the seam is on the bottom.  Stud has yet to successfully fold a burritos.

I like this meal a lot because it allows us to kinda make your own burrito.  Stud always adds tons of additional hot sauce while I layer on the sour cream.  His are also a mess while mine are neat and tidy.  I am not surprised.  These are so adaptable, you can really make them your own - add onions, peppers?  Or you can serve them with some beans and really make a meal out of things.  I love breakfast....



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails