January 18, 2011

The Starring Attraction

I, until last weekend, had never made a pot roast.  I had enjoyed several over my lifetime, but never made one myself.  I am lacking a slow cooker (well, my mom has three so I really can use one of hers whenever), so I can maybe use that as an excuse, but not really.  So I set out to make one, did my research, and discovered there are as many recipes as people on this planet.  I was lost, so I went to my mom the gourmande knowing whatever she told me would be delicious.  I was slightly shocked at how easy the recipe was, and it was moist and tender and delicious.  This is what she told me...

.Gourmande Pot Roast
5 lbs chuck roast
1 onion (optional)
3 carrots (optional)
4 celery stalks (optional)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix
Red Wine

Since I made mine in a Le Cruset, I was able to brown the meat before I put the veggies in to get some good meat flavor - so first brown the meat and remove from the pot.  I also didn't want chunks of veggies in mine, so I pureed them in a food processor before adding them to the pot.  And the veggies are completely optional, I added them because I had them in the fridge!  Add the veggies and cook for a for about five minutes.  Then add in the soup and soup mix and combine.  Trust me, it will look gross but it comes out so tasty.  Add in the wine and bring to a boil.  Once it reaches a boil, add the meat back to the pot and put in a 325 degree oven and let it cook until it's nice and tender, 3.5-4 hrs.  This can also be done in a slow cooker.  I checked on mine every hour or so, my kitchen smelled so good.  Once it's cooked, if you have time, refrigerate overnight and skim all the fat off the top the next day.  Slice the meat and reheat the pot roast and serve.

Good redneck ingredients make an excellent tender pot roast.  I could cut it with my fork.  And it freezes really well, so Stud and I even have some leftover for some lazy rainy night.  But there is a good chance I will never see it again since Stud heads to the hospital around 4am and has turned into a lunch thief.  I wake up and all the leftovers are gone.  Devastated.  So instead of cooking for 3-4 like normal, I guess I'll just have to start cooking like the two of us are really a family of six to ensure leftovers.  Or I'll start hiding things. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails