January 17, 2011

Dinner for 6

Plus a little nephew!  Last night Stud and I had his family over for dinner and I used all new-to-the-blog recipes and I thought this week it would be fun to recap each recipe to make a complete dinner party menu for 6.  Just a heads up, Stud and I wanted major leftovers so this can realistically feed probably 8.  And I have a delicious lunch of leftovers planned for today!

To start, I made an onion dip from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and it was so good.  I have actually been snacking on it this morning, never too early for some caramelized onions!  The onions are cooked to death and become so sweet.  I actually made the onions in the morning and just mixed everything together right  before people arrived and it worked great.  I went to see the King's Speech (SO GOOD) yesterday, so did some prep work before the movie.

After snacking...whoops.
Onion Dip
2 yellow onions
4 T. unsalted butter
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 c. vegetable oil
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise

Cut the onions in half and slice into 1/8" slices.  Heat the butter and oil in a skillet and add the onions along with the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook the onions on medium for ten minutes and then lower the heat to medium low and cook for another thirty minutes.  Using a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo.  Once the onions have cooled, gently mix them in and serve with potato chips!  I used kettle cooked so they were nice and thick and you could really get a good scoop of the dip.  And it just as good leftover!!

Oh and since this recipe is so short, here's Chuckles for you, who is just beginning to smile...although he refused for me last night.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails