January 31, 2011

Pizza night is back!

After a long hiatus and some issues coming up with a new pizza recipe, Stud and I finally have a new pizza creation!  It's a take on the classic sweet/salty combination and stems from pizzas we have had out in restaurants in the past.  I also love how this pizza is undeniably french and I feel so worldly whipping it up in my kitchen for a quick weeknight dinner.


Pizza with Figs, Proscuitto, Carmelized Onions and Arugala
1 Rosemary pizza dough ball
1 medium onion
3 T olive oil
1/2 c. fig spread (jam, preserves, whatever you can find)
2 c. shredded mozerella cheese
4-5 thin slices of proscutto
Arugula

Stretch the dough out over a greased cookie sheet and pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.  While the oven is warming, slice the onion into thin slices and add to a skillet with the olive oil.  Cook slowly until they are nice and caramelized, about twenty minutes.  I used to brown them as quickly as possible, and they really are much better if you cook them slowly over a medium-low heat.  Use the fig jam as the sauce for the pizza.  It just needs a thin coat, it's pretty sweet stuff.  I prefer the dark fig jams over the light ones.  I have no idea what the difference is between the two, I just think the lighter ones are a little tooooo sweet for my taste.  Once you have a thin layer of the jam down, add the onions and then the cheese.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden.  Remove from the oven and add the prosciutto, tearing it into small bits with your fingers.  Add the arugula right on top of the pizza and enjoy!!

If you like sweet and salty, you will LOVE this pizza!  The arugula adds a nice peppery flavor to offset the sweetness from the fig spread and onions.  And the prosciutto.  I mean how can you go wrong??  It was a great combination of flavors and a new favorite over here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails