March 4, 2011

Three Cheese Orzo and Spinach

I have this thing.  I absolutely love to eat pastas with a spoon. When I was little, my favorite was pastina (little stars) with tons of butter and parmersean cheese.  So in the name of our fridge needed to be cleaned out and my discovery of the perfect recipe, I made orzo with some delicious fridge items to jazz it up above the normal butter and cheese.



Cheesy Orzo with Spinach
1 lb. orzo
1 c. diced yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
3 c. packed fresh spinach (or more, or less)
3/4 c. grated parmersean cheese
1/4 c. goat cheese
1/4 c. cream cheese
Olive oil
Salt
Pinch of nutmeg

Cook the orzo according to the package instructions.  While the pasta is cooking, sautee the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt in about 2T olive oil in a large skillet until translucent.  Add in the spinach in handfuls until it is all wilted.  Add in the cheese and and stir until it's melted.  Once the orzo is finished, add it to the skillet with the spinach and cheese with about 1/2c. of the pasta water to make more of a sauce out of the cheese. Add a pinch of nutmeg, stir over low heat until everything is well combined.  And enojy your pasta with a spoon!

The cream cheese was a last minute addition here and it was perfect.  It added a nice creamy-ness to offset the parmersean and goat cheese.  And I cleaned out my fridge!  Which I consider a great success since we were buying the veggies at Costco and managed to eat them all!  It was a great quick weeknight dinner that successfully convinced Stud that spoon pasta was just as good, if not better than spaghetti.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails