November 12, 2010

"Lo Mein"

The other night, I was having a huge craving for lo mein, and I thought I could try and make it instead of heading to our local Chinese take out.  So I did some research and combined a few different recipes I thought looked good and attempted homemade chicken lo mein.


Chicken Lo Mein
2 chicken breasts, cut into small strips
2 1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. ginger
1/3 t. rice vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. water
1 T. sesame oil
1/2 t. black pepper
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. minced garlic
2 eggs
1 c. sliced mushrooms
1 c. snow peas, cut in half
1 lb. spaghetti
Green Onions

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chicken stock, water, sesame oil, and black pepper.  Mix some with the cornstarch and then combine the cornstarch mixture with the sauce.  In a separate pot, cook the spaghetti.  In a large sauce pan (I used a wok because I actually have one and it's really fun to use), add some vegetable oil and cook the eggs.  Remove from the pan.  Add more vegetable oil and add the chicken strips to the pan.  Cook just until you can't see anymore pink and add the mushrooms, garlic, and snow peas.  Cook until the mushrooms and snow peas are soft and the chicken is done.  Add the pasta to the saucepan along with the eggs, chopped green onions, and sauce.  Cook on low heat until the pasta has absorbed all the sauce and serve.

This was pretty easy, but unfortunately, did not quench my lo mein craving.  It just wasn't the same.  It was good, just not Chinese take out lo mein.  And I bet it would have been cheaper to get it from Chinese take out.  Humph.  To satisfy my cravings, I strongly suggested that Stud make some Asian noodles for dinner the other night while I was in class - they are easier and tastier than the lo mein.  He did, and they are just so so so good.  And he has decided that he is better at making them than me.  SCORE!  I told him from here on out, Asian noodles are his dinner.  And he can make it for me whenever he wants because they are so delicious.  I have already polished off the leftovers.  Maybe dinner next week too?



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails