August 30, 2010

Stud loves Sriracha

I follow an embarrassing amount of food blogs.  One of them happens to be The Pioneer Woman Cooks and I like her recipes because they are usually simple in both assembly and taste.  Good home cooked food.  So when I saw this recipe that used a total of ten ingredients (mine has a few more), most of which we already had on hand from the Thai pizza, I added it to the make-soon-for-dinner pile of recipes. I also knew we had some additional ingredients on hand that would be welcome additions to the dish so I could play around with it. And it contains Sriracha, so I knew Stud would LOVE it.  The boy has some issues when it comes to ethnic food.


Simple Sesame Noodles
1lb spaghetti (angel hair would be great here, but I didn't have any)
1/4c. soy sauce
2T. sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2T. rice vinegar
3T. sesame oil
4T. canola oil
2T. hot water
3 eggs
1 bunch cilantro
1/2c. chopped peanuts
4 green onions, thinly sliced
Sriracha or other chili sauce to taste

Cook pasta according to package instructions.  While the pasta is cooking, wisk the soy sauce, sugar, garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, canola oil, hot water, and Sriracha in a small bowl.  Set aside.  Here, you can simply stop and pour the sauce over the noodles and it will be DELICIOUS.  But I had some other ingredients in my fridge, so I changed things up a bit.  In a skillet large enough for the pasta, put in about 2T. of canola oil and some additional garlic and scramble the eggs.  You can also add some other ingredients at this time if you would like - bean sprouts would be great, broccoli, carrots, chicken strips (if you need something a little more substantial), etc...  Once the pasta is finished, drain and add to the skillet with the scrambled eggs and add the sauce, peanuts, chopped cilantro, and green onions.  Keep on low heat and mix until the sauce has been absorbed by the noodles.  Then enjoy.

Stud now ranks this recipe up with Chicken Casserole in my recipe binder, and that is saying a lot.  He enjoyed it so much (as did I), we snarfed it down it last Friday for dinner, and it's on the menu again for this week.We added enough Sriracha to the sauce to my taste (a hint of a spice) and then we served it with the Sriracha on the table so Stud could spice to his liking.  Worked really well, so if people don't have the same tolerance for heat - not to worry.  I think it would make a great pasta salad served room temperature or cold as well. Or as a side dish to some chicken or pork.  A very versatile dish.  And good - really really good.  And despite the list of weird ingredients, really really easy.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails