August 13, 2010

CHICKEN Casserole

As I have mentioned before, when I was a child, I was an extremely picky eater.  This is one of the few dishes I loved, and in fact, I think it was my go to family birthday dinner for a good chunk of my childhood.  I'm sure my gourmet chef mother was so thrilled to serve this to all of her in-laws.  Also, this is technically Broccoli Cheese Casserole, but my brother and I would refuse to eat it if it had the word "Broccoli" in the title, so chicken casserole was born.  And it has followed me into my adulthood and this is one of Stud's all time favorite recipes.  He's easy to please and I love it.


Chicken Casserole
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 c. light mayonnaise (so healthy, I know)
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 chicken breasts
2 large heads of broccoli
1 box of Rice Pilaf
Dash of Cholula

Preheat the oven to 350 and bake the chicken breasts seasoned as you wish.  Sometimes I go through the rubs I have in my spice cabinet and throw one on there to add a little more flavor to the casserole.  I think the favorite so far has been the "Black and Red."  But all that's necessary is a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice according to the package instructions and cook the broccoli as well.  Frozen broccoli would work great here, I always just buy the fresh in case I end up doing something else with it.  And a side note - I grew up eating food that was always made with Rice Pilaf (Near East to be exact) and now I depend on it.  I think I pick up two boxes every time I go to the grocery.  When a recipe calls for rice, I use Rice Pilaf.  It has never backfired.

Combine the cream of mushroom soup, mayo, sour cream, cheese and Cholula in a large bowl.  Add the rice and broccoli when finished.  When the chicken is done, shred it into bite size pieces and add to the bowl.  Mix together until everything is well combined.  Pour into a baking dish (maybe top with a littttle more cheese) and put in the 350 degree oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until everything is bubbly and hot.  Brings me back to my childhood.




And look!  Someone actually made it!
Fan shot from Haudge:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails