July 23, 2010

Tomato Pie

OK so this is one of those things I refused to eat until I was about 20 - I used to have a thing with tomatoes (they made me gag) and now they are up there with avocados on my "I am obsessed" food list.  Seriously, avocados and tomatoes make everything better.  I just had to learn that winter gross tomatoes are a completely different thing than fresh juicy red summer tomatoes.  Lesson learned.  Tomato pie is pretty simple to make and so so so so good.  And once I actually have some ripe tomatoes in my garden, it will be even better!  I wish you could smell it.  Please try this at home, it will change your life.


Tomato Pie
1 Pie Crust (I just used the Pillsbury crusts)
3 T. Dijon Mustard
1 c. Cheese
Tomatoes
Basil
Parsley

This recipe is nice because it's really easy to make do with what you have and change it to what you like.  For the cheese, I used a mixture of mozzarella, gruyere and goat that I had left over from this week's pizza (more to come on that later) and for the tomatoes, I used three plum and then the yellow cherry from my tomato plants and a few red grape I had in the fridge (I know, cardinal sin putting tomatoes in the fridge, but I needed them to last).  So you can use whatever cheese you have on hand, and the same with the tomatoes.

Lay the dough in a pie pan - I used a quiche pan and my mom uses a tart pan, whatever works - and line it with tin foil.  Blind bake the pie crust for about ten minutes according to package instructions.  I think it was at 450 degrees.  Remove from the oven and spread the Dijon mustard around the bottom of the pie crust.  Then sprinkle on all the cheese and then layer the tomatoes.  I would just make sure to only have one layer of pretty thinly sliced tomatoes or it gets too soggy.  Drizzle the top with a little olive oil and put back in the oven and bake for another thirty minutes.  When it's finished, sprinkle the top with fresh basil and parsley.  I actually let it cool for about ten minutes before we ate and it was perfect.

You know you want to eat this.  Do it.


Welcome if you're here from Pillsbury via Facebook!  I hope you like my blog, and sorry for the quality of the pictures - I am neither a professional photographer (I just use my phone half the time) nor a professional chef!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like these reciepes and will keep checking in from know on. Thank you for sharing

jessica16 said...

tomato pie was yummy i will definitely check back often for more recipes, thank you

Anonymous said...

Just printed out the recipe and I'm
going to try it Thursday night. It
looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

lOOKS YUMMO !! i SHALL TRY FOR SURE.. THANKS! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails