July 15, 2010

Green Thumb

Stud and I have become quite the green thumbs.  And by green thumbs I mean we plant things, the success of those plantings is still to be determined.  Since I finally A.) have a yard and it B.) has no woodland creatures like my parents, I decided to try my hand at planting something useful.  I planted three tomato plants in May - red grape, beefsteak, and yellow cherry.  Beau mauled the grape tomato plant, so I'm just pumped that one is still alive.  So far, we have had one ripe yellow tomato.  I blame the ninety degree heat we have had all summer.  According to my compulsive googling of the issue, tomatoes cannot "set fruit" (whatever that means) or ripen when the temperature is above 85 degrees.  Good thing it's been sweltering this summer.  I have also added another mystery tomato plant to the mix as well as a red habanero plant.  I am hoping at some point to have enough tomatoes for it to be useful.  We shall see.  Looks like we could be eating a lot of fried green tomatoes. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails