May 11, 2011

Shrimp Tacos!

Last Thursday was Cinco de Mayo.  Duh.  But I had class so Stud and I celebrated Cuatro do Mayo.  Which (RANDOM FACT!) is also International Star Wars Day - May the Fourth be with you!  I'm not even a fan of Star Wars, I just find that hysterical.  Anyways, for Cuatro de Mayo, Stud and I celebrated with shrimp tacos and Spanish rice.  And shrimp tacos are so easy and one of my new favorite easy fresh dinners.  Especially since we had pretty much all of the ingredients already on hand.


Shrimp Tacos
1/2 lb shrimp deveined with shells and tails removed
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. cayenne
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. garlic powder
Corn Tortillas
Avocado
Sour Cream
Cheese
Salsa (we are now addicted to Newman's Own Black Bean Salsa - SO AMAZING)

Adobo Mayo
1/2 c. mayo
1/2 T. pureed chilis in adobo

My shrimp came out of the freezer, so we simply had to thaw them out.  Once they were thawed, we tossed them with the olive oil and the spices and let them sit for a while to marinate.  When we were ready to eat, toss them in a skillet with a little extra olive oil and cook until done, about three minutes.  I also warmed the corn tortillas in a 200 degree oven when I started marinating the shrimp so they were nice and warm.  For the mayo, simply mix it together!  Add any toppings you want and enjoy.  So simple!  So good.

I don't even really know what made this so tasty.  The shrimp had a mild flavor and were a great protein for light summery tacos.  Maybe our new favorite salsa mixed with the adobo?  Really no idea.  I also loved that they were make-your-own.  I could load up on the avocado and Stud could add tons of additional hot sauce.  Perfect for different palates.  I can say for sure these will be a frequent menu item for us this summer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails