May 18, 2011

Artichokes in Springtime!

There are not many tastes out there where Stud and I are not on the same page.  Maybe it's because we both eat mostly anything?  He loves Ethiopian.  I'm not there yet.  I am obsessed with artichoke hearts.  Stud...not so much.  I went through a stint of putting them in everything, so maybe I over did it.  Never I say!  I mean, they are in season right now (I think?), so I must eat them!  So last night while he was on call, I made a huge batch of pasta with garlic, red pepper flakes, and artichoke hearts.  It was divine. 



Artichoke Heart Pasta
1 can of artichoke hearts
1 lb pasta
8 cloves garlic
1 t. red pepper flakes
1 T. dried herbs (I used a combo of basil, thyme, rosemary)
1 lb spaghetti
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Salt

This is another recipe that comes together while the pasta is cooking.  Start your pasta water and while it's heating up, dice the garlic.  Add to a skillet with about 3 T. of olive oil and a pinch of salt.  Cook over low heat until the garlic is light brown.  Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to the package instructions. Once the garlic is golden, drain and rinse the artichoke hearts and add them to the skillet along with another pinch of salt.  Add in the red pepper flakes as well.  Cook over medium heat until your pasta is finished, about six minutes.  Add the pasta to the skillet along with about 1/4 c. of the pasta water and fresh squeezed lemon juice (a few tablespoons).  Add the dried herbs (or fresh parsley if you'd rather) and toss over low heat until everything is combined.  Serve with Parmesan cheese.

And the obsession continues.  I don't really even know how to describe the unique flavor of an artichoke heart.  Can you?  It's rich, but also fresh.  And accompanies the garlic and pepper flakes so well.  I made a ton of this, as I always do. Some for lunch tomorrow and some for Stud post-call.  I am convinced with this one I might have won Stud over to the artichoke-obsessed side of things.  It's helps that the recipe also involves pepper flakes.  UPDATE:  Stud loved the pasta, still not so sure about artichoke hearts in everything....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails