April 7, 2011

Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad

The other "salad" I brought on our picnic was an orzo pasta salad that came from one of those murder mysteries with recipes along with the book.  Leave it to my mom to read one and realize it's going to be awesome.  I hope none of you thought I was going to pack real salads for our wine tasting/picnic.  No way.  This pasta salad has such a weird combo of ingrediens and together, the result is addiciting.


Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad 
1 c. uncooked orzo
3 T. finely chopped red onion
1 c. halved cherry tomatoes
2 T.chopped  fresh basil
2 T. capers
1 T. dijon mustard
1/4 t. sugar
1 T. balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3.5 oz goat cheese
Salt
Pepper

Cook the orzo according to package instructions.  When it is done, drain it and rinse under cold water to prevent the grains from sticking.  Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl (I like to give the capers a rough chop) and combine.  The recipe instructions actually say to add everything but the mustard, sugar, and vinegar and to form a vinaigrette in a separate bowl and then add it which would probably make it better, but I am lazy and I like one bowl recipes.

So good.  But that would not be a hard conclusion to reach since it has orzo, goat cheese, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar involved, all some of my favorite things.  We had our potato salad and pasta salad with pork tenderloin on buns and cookies, and of course, lots of wine.  I am a new fan of picnics.  There could be many more in my future this summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails