November 3, 2010

Turkey Bugers

Stud and I rarely eat regular burgers anymore - they are always bison or my new experiment, turkey burgers.  Hey, it's healthier...right??  These have a smattering of ingredients in them, and the main thing I have learned, is that they need moisture.  I have seen some recipes call for ricotta cheese, but most call for vegetable or canola oil which is what I use because I always have some in the pantry.  And I cooked them in my new cast iron skillet!  Yum yum. 



Turkey Burgers
1 lb. ground turkey
1 shallot, finely diced
3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt
Pepper
4 T. canola oil
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
Worcestershire sauce

Combine everything but the Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and form into patties.  Using your thumb, make an indent in the middle of the patty for the Worcestershire sauce and pour it in.  It will get absorbed as they cook.  If you plan on cooking them in a cast iron skillet, line it first with a thin layer of oil and let it heat up before you put the burgers in - that way you get a good sear on the outside.  I think we cooked them for about 5-7 minutes a side so they were completely done in the middle, about 160 degrees.  Serve with pickles if you are, like me, newly obsessed with pickles.  They go really really well with these burgers!

This recipe might of gotten a little too close to meatloaf for me, something which I avoid like the plague.  I think I had it forced too many times as a child.  My mom had this theory that if she made me eat something three times then I would like it.  She should have never verbalized that to me, I knew her plans and continued to refuse to eat things.  I told you I was picky.  Anyways, I might omit the egg and breadcrumbs next time and see how they hold together.  Or maybe make them spicy with cumin and chili powder.  That's what I like about turkey burgers.  You're supposed to doctor them up whereas with regular burgers, I like them plain and simple.  With cheese.  And pickles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails