October 28, 2010

Gram's Pumpkin Bread

In the spirit of it finally being fall, I thought I would share at least one decidedly fall recipe.  This is a recipe that actually came from my Mom's mom - I called her Gram.  So this is the copy I got from my mom as to directions to make pumpkin bread:


Thank goodness I can at least read my mom's handwriting, but that's pretty much all I have going for me with this one.  So I went in order of most baking recipes and hoped it worked - mix the dry ingredients together and add to the wet.  Mix until just combined.  Looks like it worked pretty well!


Gram's Pumpkin Bread (makes 2 loaves)
4 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 t. nutmeg
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
2 t. backing soda
1 t. salt
1/2 c. water
1 can pumpkin (Libby's is my fav)
1 c. oil
4 eggs
Optional - 2c. pecans or 2c. chocolate chips

Sift together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.  In a large bowl, combine the water, pumpkin, oil and eggs.  Add the dry ingredients in four matches mixing only until combined.  Add pecans and or chocolate chips.  Distribute evenly between two large loaf pans and back for about an hour at 350.

Since I was experimenting and the recipe makes two, I split the batter up into two bowls and added 1c. of pecans to one and 1c. of chocolate chips to the other to see which I preferred.  And the winner is...Pecans!  I think the chocolate chips over-power the pumpkin deliciousness too much.  And next time I might add some more spices and kick up the flavor.  But it's pretty amazing as is.  I love fall food!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails