September 17, 2010

Cherry Tomato Pasta

I prefer this recipe more than Stud, so I was slightly pumped for this week when I would have complete control of the menu.  And I thought I would squeeze this one in once more before it (if it ever) cools off and all I want is soup.  And it's so simple, as it should be.  The recipe comes from the Seriously Simple Cookbook.  Yet another one from my mom's cookbook library.


Baked Cherry Tomato Pasta
1 1/2 lbs cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
4 minced garlic cloves
1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 lb. penne, fusillil, or farfallini pasta
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil

Literally the most difficult part of this recipe is halving the tomatoes.  And I have made this enough that I have it timed pretty well.  Preheat the oven to 400 and while the oven is warming up, start halving the tomatoes.  Put them in a dish large enough that can hold the pasta.  In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs (I usually try and use awkward stale leftover pieces of french bread that I grind up in the Cuisinart - way better), cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.  Once all the tomatoes are halved, spoon the bread crumb mixture over the tomatoes and drizzle the olive oil evenly over the mixture.  Put in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.  Once the tomatoes go in, I start the pasta.  Once the pasta and tomatoes (they should be good a bubbly) are finished, drain the pasta and add to the tomatoes with the basil.  Mix to combine and EAT.

I love what happens to the cherry tomatoes in this one.  They become little pieces of candy.  In fact, I usually always go a little overboard with the cherry tomatoes and bread crumbs.  So much this past time that I had to take some to my parents because I had that much leftover.  And this could also be mixed with some chicken, or shrimp to make more of a meal out of it.  But I love it just the way it is.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails