September 3, 2010

Aarti Paarti!

Welcome to my first ever attempt at Indian food!  The picture is not great, but the curry was really good.  And should be much easier the next time I make it.  I think Aarti could use a fewwww more instructions in her recipes...I'm not sure what Masala looks like when it's cooked...so I guessed.  Stud and I made Green Curry with Rice Pilaf (I told you....problem with the rice pilaf) using Aarti's recipe from the Next Food Network Star.


Green Curry
1 bunch cilantro leaves
1 bunch fresh mint leaves
1 red onion, roughly chopped
6 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 in. piece of fresh garlic, peeled
Salt and Pepper
1/4c. water
2 T. olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 t. cumin
1 t. corriander
1/2 t. garam masala
1/2 t. tumeric
2-3 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 c. plain whole milk yogurt
Box of Rice Pilaf

Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 and roasting the chicken breasts for about 25-30 min until they are cooked through.  First of all - Aarti has you cooking the chicken breasts in their entirety in the curry and then serving them whole.  I wanted to serve it with little pieces of chicken in the sauce, I just like that more.  So I pre-cooked my chicken, cut it into bite size pieces and then added it at the very end.  In the bowl of a food processor, add the cilantro, mint, red onion, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.  Process until it forms a paste, then add the 1/4c. water and process until it forms a sauce - the "masala."

In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil and add the shallots and cook until they are golden.  Add the spices and cook for thirty seconds.  Add the masala mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for about 5-8 mins.  According to Aarti "stirring often until it deepens in color and aroma. You'll know it's ready when it looks shiny, little droplets of oil will appear on the surface, and the masala will hold together as a cohesive mass."  I have no idea what that means.  But there you go.  Add the chicken and an additional 1/4c. water.  Cook the sauce and chicken until the water has been cooked off the sauce.  Or until you just can't stand it cause you're really hungry.  Remove it from the heat and add the yogurt.  And the enjoy!

I think next time, there is not much I would change.  I think we would add some chili powder (duh, spice), and other than that, it's really really good.  And my house smelled like Indian food for the next few days.  And I never really got sick of it....  Stud of course loved it.  There will definitely be more Indian cuisine in our future!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails