July 29, 2010

Honey Balsamic Bean Salad

I debated posting this recipe becuase it is good, but didn't blow me out of the water with it's amazingness.  But I haven't been to the grocery in quite a while, so cooking has been minimal at my house.

I found this recipe on one of my food bloggy stalks - over at 101 Cookbooks.  It piqued my interest due to the large amount of thyme (yum) and honey.  I thought I would give it a try since I had most of the ingredients on hand and shocking, I was getting tired of our standard salad with the same dressing almost every night.  I know, I know - not the most appetizing picture.  I'll get better, I promise.  I tried to replicate the original recipe which according to 101 Cookbooks can be found in Teaching My Dad to Cook Flapjack using haricots verts instead of the romaine.  And they called for cooked beans, I just went straight for the canned.


Honey Balsamic Bean Salad
1 can each of Black Beans, Pinto Beans, and Chickpeas
1/3 lb. Haricots Verts
1/3 c. toasted sliced almonds
For the dressing:
2t. Olive Oil
1 1/2 T. Honey
2T. Balsamic Vinegar
1 1/2 T. Lemon Juice
1/4 t. salt
10 sprigs fresh thyme

Rinse all the beans and place in a large bowl.  Blanche the green beans and chop roughly into thirds and add to the bowl with the beans.  Lightly toast the almonds and add to the bowl as well.  Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl and mix well.  Remove the leaves from the thyme sprigs and add to the bean mixture along with the dressing.  Mix to combine and let sit.

This was something that was a risk - totally outside of what Stud and I would normally eat.  We had this with turkey burgers which would normally be served with tater tots and a baby spinach salad.  And it was a tasty alternative, but not something I would add to my regular menu.  And Stud thinks it's gross leftover, but I don't mind it.  I think it's even a little better once the thyme has had time to spread it tastiness throughout.  So overall, a nice alternative to a salad with dinner, but not a total replacement.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails