September 17, 2011

Outdoor concert


A couple of days ago I had the day off and decided to go take a walk in the park. I was walking along my usual route, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I go around a curve and there are literally thousands of people. About half the freaking city was gathered about 5 minutes from my house. Of course I go check out what is happening and as I walk through the mass of people all I see are protestors, dogs, and groups of people with wine, cheese and hummus. Whatever it was, it was soooo San Francisco. Celebrities start talking on the stage, then the mayor gives a speech. Turns out it is a free public orchestra concert given by the Interfaith Council dedicated to the victims of 9/11 and the heroes who sacrificed their lives that day. I hung out for a little listening to the speeches and was going to continue on my way when the music started playing.
Suddenly the wacko "9/11 never happened" protesters shut up, the pop of wine bottles stopped, and a hush came over the huge crowd. It was the most surreal experience. Well my plans changed that day. This was the most stereotypical San Fransisco thing I could possibly imagine and a great show at that. I went and got some wine and crackers and stayed for the whole show. When in Rome...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails