October 14, 2010

Tomato and Sausage Risotto

Back to food!  I told you I had some good stuff.  I originally made this recipe when Stud and I had leftover Italian sausages and didn't know what to do with them.  And I love risotto (it's so creamy), so I googled sausage risotto and this recipe from Marta Stewart looked promising.  I have made this a few times in the past, so I have a few changes that I've made.  And I'll probably make more next time.  It's how I roll.


Tomato and Sausage Risotto
1 can diced tomatoes in juice
1 T. olive oil
3/4 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 c. Arborio rice
1/2 white wine
1 bag fresh spinach
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Red Pepper Flakes
2 T butter

In a small sauce pan, combine the can of tomatoes and 3c water and bring to a simmer and keep warm.  In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the sausage and onion and cook, breaking up the sausage and cooking until the onion has softened.  Add the rice and stir until well coated and then add the wine and cook until it's absorbed.  Add two cups of the tomato/water mixture to the rice and stir constantly until it's absorbed.  Keep the rice over medium heat and continue adding one cup at a time until the rice is tender and delicious.  It should take about 25 minutes and you might not use all of the tomato mixture.  I like to add some red pepper flakes in a this point, but not necessary. Also add in the spinach and mix until it's all wilted.  Salt and pepper to taste and then add in the Parmesan cheese and butter, mixing well.  Serve immediately.

This is a great recipe to do when Stud wants to help out in the kitchen because he loves to stir and there is a lot of stirring in this recipe.  And if you've ever made risotto before, the process is nothing new.  It's time consuming, but the result is so creamy.  It's like you've made a hugely fattening sauce, but it's just the starch released from the rice. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails