July 8, 2010

Lila Potatoes

Since my life has taken a turn towards calm (whew, it was hectic there for a while), I have decided that you all will get to read about more food.  And since Beau and food pretty much make up my life, then I think it all makes sense!  So today I will share with you Lila Potatoes aka Potato Casserole.  Living in Kentucky has provided me with some great casserole recipes and this one....oh my.  I could eat it for days.  As an entree.  The Lila comes from the woman who originally provided the recipe to my mom, and so it's stuck in my family.  And it sounds so much classier than potato casserole.  Almost as classy as potatoes au gratin.

Lila Potatoes
1 bag or Ore-Ida frozen hash browns
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 24oz. container of sour cream
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1 yellow onion (optional)
Corn Flakes
Butter

Thaw the hash browns and dump them into a large bowl with the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cheese, and chopped onion.  Mix well.  Pour into a greased casserole dish.

Crush about two cups of cornflakes and combine with about 4T. melted butter.  Layer the cornflakes on top of the potato mixture.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour.  The crispy topping is best fresh, so I would scrape it all off and eat it first.  And sorry I do not have a picture, I tend to destroy it too quickly.  And they freeze great completely assembled.

And just so you don't feel bad making this all for yourself one night for dinner, here are some tested tasty uses for leftovers:
    -base of a breakfast burrito
    -in a frittataaaaa
    -on an egg sandwich
    -on a bbq sandwich
    -as a snack

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails